Saturday, August 19, 2017

Day 4: The Mathematical Habits of Mind

We had to play a bit of catch up today. The fire drills yesterday and the slower pace of my afternoon classes means that not all of the groups were at the same point in the plans. My definite take away at the end of this 4-day Unit 0 attempt is that I must have more days to cover all of the foundations I want to get through before heading into the objectives.  I'm thinking I should've approached this as a nine day unit, perhaps with interactive activities to emphasize a different SMP each day. Definite note to self for next year.

Interactive Notebook Foldable

For several of the classes, we used the day to complete our 8 Math Habits foldable.  A few classes still have several to go and I am likely going to forego the Eclipse activity on Monday with them to do so.  The other possibility that I considered is just having them complete one more Habit each time we take notes over the next few weeks.  Still debating.  I also used today to review the week's homework and to introduce them to our class website so that they would know where to find class notes, videos, games, and homework when they need it.  



We have the 8 Mathematical Habits hanging at the front of the classroom as well and I try to refer to them frequently throughout the year.  My goal this year is to hear them refer to them a bit more often in conversation to one another.

Estimation 180

Two of the classes finished in enough time to look at an Estimation 180 prompt.  Unfortunately, we had to rush through it.  I tend to use Estimation 180 a good bit with my Support for Personalized Learning groups so I will have the opportunity to slow it down more when we revisit. They did gain exposure to the structure of reaching consensus on a too high and too low value and then reaching consensus as a group on a reasonable estimate. Also, it served as a chance to walk through how we use our large dry erase boards with color groups (a change from their home table groupings) and a brief conversation about precision (units) and the value of visual models. The reveal never ceases to elicit excitement.  

Thorns and Roses

While I have had time with my homeroom every day this week, we have spent the time in team building and getting to know you tasks. Fridays serve a different purpose.  Even after our Support for Personalized Learning and Club periods get underway in the next few weeks, students always return to homeroom on Friday afternoon for a period known as "Developmental Guidance." This was the first such period and I wanted to get started right away with the routine that I've found works best for me.  The purpose for this period is a bit of character building as well as some more traditional educational guidance type interactions. My team tried valiantly to use the materials on our state website last year, but they weren't working.  Eventually, I settled on the same routine that I use with my own children at home...Thorns and Roses.  We rearrange all of the desks in the room into a large circle.  Last year's group went straight to work rearranging the moment they entered the room so very little time was lost.  We have a wooden rose that we pass around the room in a Listening Circle sort of format where anyone who wants to share offers out their thorn from the week (something negative they had to deal with) as well as their rose (something worth celebrating).

I assumed that the group would be a bit timid since this was our first time, but I always participate as well so the modeling generally prompts a few more outgoing souls to take the leap.  What I didn't anticipate was how raw the conversation would be for our very first time.  I'm honored that they were willing to share so much, but I'm not as accustomed as teachers in other content areas are in dealing with the heavy stuff.  I know our English teacher see such content in student writing all of the time but it doesn't come up quite as often in mathematics.  I found it incredibly difficult to maintain the norm of not talking while others were sharing, wanting very much to interject and console.  Tissues were passed.  Compassionate looks exchanged, but we all remained listeners.  We had discussed before we began that we would become a family this year and that we wouldn't discuss the conversations that are shared outside of that space.  At the end of the conversation, I thanked those who had shared for trusting us with their stories and reminded every one else of the adage to "Be kind to everyone. You never now what kind of battle someone else is fighting." I agreed that life brings with it a lot of struggles and difficulties sometimes, but it is full of beauty too...and that sometimes we have to be that beauty in someone else's world. We ended with one of my sweet boys offering hugs to anyone who needed one. Did I mention that I think I am going to like this crew?

Broken Circles

I was very grateful that we had one more mini-period to go before the day ended because it would've been a bit of a heavy way to end the day.  Instead, they moved back into their groups and I issued them a challenge in the form of Sarah Carter's Broken Circles. [Have you noticed how much I've stolen from her amazing blog post, "21 Ideas for the First Week of School"? It is a must read.]


I messed up the directions the first time through and had to interrupt them and reboot, but then it went very well.  Four of the groups successfully accomplished the task with the last two saved by the bell. They clearly enjoyed the challenge. The only change I would make if I was to run this in future years is to avoid having any groups of 3. Sarah has versions for groups of 3, 4, 5, and 6.  My homeroom has 5 groups of 4 and 1 group of 3 so that's what I used. The group of 3 finished far too quickly.  I think I will adjust my groups to 4s and 5s when I use this activity next year.  

High Five Friday

It was Friday, so that means...High Five Friday.  Thank you, Glenn Waddell.  Well, not exactly...I forgot with the first two classes and had to chase them down at their next class.  And I forgot completely with two other periods.  Only one class got the real deal.  I definitely need to get back in the swing of things.

It was a long week. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment